If you want to prepare the ideal sugar-free Rosca de Reyes for diabetics, note what you need and step by step. One interesting thing about this recipe is that whole wheat flour is not required, although it is often considered a healthier option.
Indeed, any type of flour made from grain contributes carbohydrates to a diabetic’s diet, so there is little difference in insulin if they consume one or the other.
Although this is a recipe without sugar, it should be considered that all wheat flour breaks down as glucose when metabolized.
It should be eaten in small quantity.
– 1/2 kg flour
– 40 g yeast
– 20 g sweetener
– 225 ml hot milk
– 3 eggs
– 2 tbsp orange peel
– 1/2 tsp sugar
– 120 g butter
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1 egg
– 1 envelope of lemon flavored sugar free gelatin
– 1 envelope of sugar free strawberry flavored gelatin
Dried fruits, to taste, optional
– filleted almonds, required
– 2 cups hot water
1- I dissolved yeast in half warm milk, added four tablespoons of flour and half a teaspoon of sugar to it. Mix thoroughly and leave to rest in a warm place without drafts.
2- By the time the yeast is activated, I put the flour in a bowl or work table and make a space in the middle. in that area I put eggs, orange peel and this
3- Sprinkle salt on the surface of the flour outside the space you have opened in the middle.
4- Start mixing the ingredients in the middle, and when you have integrated them, start adding the yeast and then the milk.
5- At first you will get a very light mixture, I keep kneading for 15-20 minutes until it becomes more consistent and elastic.
6- Let it rest in a greased bowl and cover with a piece of food plastic or a clean kitchen cloth until it doubles in size.
7- After the dough is set, press it to release the gas and make a ball.
8- Place the bagel on a pre-greased baking tray or bottom with wax paper and open a hole in its center, stretch from there to give the bagel its classic shape.
9- Let the bagel rest until it doubles in size and varnish with the previously beaten egg.
10- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degree Celsius.
11- Prepare the jelly, dissolving each envelope in a cup of hot water, preferably in a large container.
12- When the gelatin sets, make gelatin strips. Keep in fridge till serving time.
13- Before baking, garnish with dehydrated fruits and make stripes with slivered almonds.
14- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the bagel is golden brown. Let it cool down.
15- I distributed the gelatin strips into bagels or cut them into circular shapes to simulate cherries.
This recipe requires attention to a few details that you may not consider relevant if you are a beginner:
– The amount of liquids indicated may vary, it is recommended to add little by little until the desired consistency is achieved.
– There are two stages to confirm the consistency of this dough, an initial stage where it is very sticky but not liquid, and a second where it is consistent and elastic. The dough should not be hard.
To activate the yeast, it is important that you use warm milk.
– If you don’t want to use regular flour, you can replace it with whole wheat.
– Avoid the use of candied fruits, it is recommended to use only dehydrated fruits such as figs, peaches, plums and other similar fruits that do not undergo the process of adding sugar but only lose liquids. Nevertheless, diabetics should moderate the amount they consume.