Gothenburg, Sweden – Four people were seriously injured in an explosion and fire in the Swedish city of Gothenburg on Tuesday, and police are investigating whether explosives were stored at the scene.
At least 16 were taken to a hospital after an apartment block caught fire in an explosion in the early hours of the central residential area. Firefighters pulled people out of the building, while other residents used tied sheets to lower themselves from balconies as gray smoke billowed out of stairs and windows.
Gothenburg’s Sahlgrenska Hospital said hours later that three people were still in intensive care after inhaling the fumes, but the injuries were not considered life-threatening.
Sweden has faced rising gang crime and gun violence in recent years, with rival groups using explosives and firearms to set scores. The police have added officers to try to deal with the gang, and the laws have been tightened.
Bombing has become an almost weekly occurrence, but it is rare for anyone to be injured, although in 2019 a bombing in a residential area in the southern city of Linköping left about 20 people with minor injuries.
Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said it was too early to say what happened in Gothenburg, but that the entire Swedish society would respond if the culprits were behind the explosion.
“As a society we will do everything possible to fight mass crime,” he said at a news conference. “People need to be able to feel safe.”
Police, who started the investigation, said that the fire has been brought under control and the tenants have been evacuated. Emergency services ruled out a gas leak as the cause.
“We believe something happened that was not caused by natural causes,” police spokesman Thomas Foxborg said at a news conference. He said something was “probably” placed at the blast site.
Anja Almen, who lives in the damaged apartment building, said she heard a movement from the street just after 5 a.m., about 15 minutes after the explosion.
“I went out onto the balcony and I was shocked. From every staircase, there was smoke everywhere,” she said over the phone from a nearby church, which had evacuated her and other tenants. were pulled from.”
by Johan Ehlander and Helena Soderpalm
This News Originally From – The Epoch Times