ISLAMABAD ( Associated Press) — The Taliban, which rules Afghanistan, have killed eight militants from the extremist Islamic State group and detained nine others in a series of raids on key figures in a series of attacks in Kabul, Taliban government officials said. a spokesman said on Thursday.
Zabihullah Mujahid said the operations carried out a day earlier in the capital and western province of Nimroz were against ISIS extremists who carried out recent attacks on the Longan Hotel in Kabul, the Pakistani embassy and the city’s military airport.
Mujahid said eight fighters, including foreign nationals, were killed fatally and eight others were detained in the capital, while two more ISIS members were arrested during the operation in the western province of Nimroz.
“Those members played a key role in the attack on the Chinese hotel and facilitated the entry of foreign ISIS members into Afghanistan,” a Taliban spokesman tweeted.
The Islamic State claimed responsibility for Sunday’s deadly attack near a checkpoint at Kabul’s military airport. According to ISIS, the attack was carried out by the same terrorist who participated in the attack on the Longan Hotel in mid-December.
The regional affiliate of the Islamic State group – known as the Islamic State of Greater Khorasan and the parent of the Taliban – has ramped up its attacks in Afghanistan since the Taliban came to power in 2021. Its targets include Taliban patrols and the Shiites of the minority member country.
ISIS released a photo of the attacker, identifying him as Abdul Jabbar, saying he was safe from attack after running out of ammunition and detonating his explosives-filled vest at soldiers gathered at the outpost. was able to retreat.
According to Mujahid, Taliban forces recovered small arms, grenades, landmines and explosives during a raid on a terrorist group’s hideout in the Shahdai Salehin neighborhood. Residents of the area said they heard multiple explosions during the gunfight that lasted for several hours.
The Taliban took control of the country after a swift offensive in August 2021, coinciding with the final departure of US and NATO forces from the country after 20 years of war.