Winston-Salem, NC—A North Carolina grand jury has convicted a teen in the fatal shooting of a high school student, and a prosecutor will transfer his case to adult court.
News outlets reported that Maurice T. Evans Jr., 15, appeared in juvenile court on Thursday for a custodial hearing.
The Winston-Salem Journal reported that Forsyth District Judge Ted Kazakos confirmed with Forsyth County District Attorney Jim O’Neill and Evans’ attorney, JD Byers, that Evans had been charged with murder. The grand jury handed down an indictment on Monday, but it will remain sealed for 10 days.
Byers asked the Kazakos to release Evans into the custody of his parents with an ankle monitor. Czakos said the juvenile justice system does have ankle monitoring in place, while the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office no longer provides ankle monitoring for defendants in adult court. The judge ordered that Evans remain in custody at a juvenile detention center without bond.
Evans is charged with the shooting of William Chavis Renard Miller Jr. on September 1 at Mount Tabor High School in Winston-Salem. The newspaper reported that O’Neill said the shooting was the culmination of a summer-long feud between Evans and Miller, but did not elaborate. The DA also said that Evans had been shot earlier in the summer, but did not say what led to that shooting or if anyone was arrested.
This News Originally From – The Epoch Times