With the arrival of the summer season, the season of open windows and outdoor activities begins and with it comes the arrival of unpleasant mosquitoes. Although there are a large number of mosquito species, The tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus) is the invasive mosquito that poses the greatest threat to public health. and related to the competent authorities. Beyond the pain caused by their bites, these mosquitoes are considered one of the 100 species with the greatest potential for expansion, and because of them one of the most harmful in the world. disease transmission capacity Like dengue, chikungunya or zika.
In what sense, Mikel Bengoa, Antisimex, Doctor of Entomology and Technical Manager of a company specializing in pest control and environmental health, explains: “The tiger mosquito is an invasive alien species native to Southeast Asia, widespread mainly along the Mediterranean coast. Its propagation season lasts from the months of May to October, and, unlike other native species such as Culex pipiens, it presents a strip of daytime activity, essentially 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. till 5:00 pm and 5:00 pm “These are the time intervals in which more bites occur”add.
For this reason, it emphasizes the need to exercise extreme caution and follow the right preventive measures, which will be one of the most important keys to combating the appearance of these insects:
- remove breeding foci, The larval stage of mosquitoes develops in liquid water. For this reason, it is important to keep areas prone to water accumulation, such as pot trays, drinkers, gutters or drains, clean and dry.
- Avoid standing in the shade. Areas protected from the sun are a favorite resting place for mosquitoes, especially if they also retain some moisture.
- America repellents enough. Those that contain the WHO-recommended DEET, Icaridin or IR3535 are most effective. These alter the mosquitoes’ receptors that prevent them from landing on people. It is worth mentioning that in order to apply certain repellents, each individual’s age and conditions must be taken into account.
- respect loss insect, Animals such as spiders, dragonflies, frogs or toads will provide a biological control that will keep the area free of mosquitoes.
- establish Mosquito On windows and beds so that you don’t have to leave the windows open.
- Install a fan or air conditioner. Mosquitoes are not good fliers and the slightest wind current makes them unsteady.
- Wear loose clothing that covers the skin. It is advisable to wear long sleeves, long pants and socks, especially in the evening and at night, thus avoiding exposure to bites.
- don’t scratch the bite, Scratching may temporarily relieve the itching sensation. However, doing this consistently can lead to more inflammation, itching and even skin infections.
- Apply cold on the affected area. The use of local cold – water or ice – or diluted ammonia prevents the spread of mosquito saliva and, therefore, inflammation.
- In the case of allergic reaction, go to doctor. While for some the bite has no effect, for others it can cause a severe allergic reaction. In these cases, it is best to see a doctor to have you evaluated and, if necessary, prescribed an antihistamine or corticosteroid cream.
These are some of the most effective tips that can be followed to survive the dreaded mosquito season. However, we must bear in mind that, at present, there are different myths about tiger mosquito prevention that can lead to misunderstandings. Thus, there is a belief that tiger mosquitoes are attracted to light, and turning it off can be a good method of prevention. In the same way, it is also believed that ultrasound systems or home remedies such as aromatic plants, lemons and cloves or mixtures with ammonia, are effective in removing substances and fragrances that may attract them even more.
Finally, it is worth mentioning that Antisimex, a specialist company in mosquito control, emphasizes surveillance, treatment and awareness as basic aspects for the control of these insect populations, in addition to prevention.
As such, they provide services based on preliminary inspections, supported by a thorough and continuous control that allows them to locate the main breeding center and, subsequently, the use of physical methods and the use of biological products. Makes an individual offer on the basis. This pest of private gardens. Furthermore, in addition to action and healing in public places, they also work to raise citizen awareness through social network interactions, educational workshops, publications and campaigns.
Antisimex, a leading company in pest control and environmental health, is committed to innovation and sustainability to control pests through smart systems: an intelligent service that does not use biocides and a highly qualified team with the experience of innovating Combines techniques. In addition, the company is promoting its Zero Vision strategy by aligning with business, the United Nations 2030 Agenda and the SDGs to act responsibly and move towards a future of zero emissions, zero toxins and zero inequalities.
Anticimex provides effective, sustainable and accessible digital pest control solutions through over 600 people to provide an up close and personal service across the national territory including the islands.