A patient’s therapeutic plan includes recommendations from various health professionals, based on lifestyle, diet, self-care, and their condition, characteristics and eco-friendly drug prescriptions, as a guide to achieving the best outcomes in your health. included as such.
It is also proposed as a way to control disease and promote each individual’s co-responsibility and autonomy in their care, so that poor adherence to prescribed medications may reduce the effectiveness of this therapeutic plan.
In populations such as Castilians and Leonese, with a high prevalence of chronic morbidity and a high number of polymedicated patients, the lack of adherence to pharmacological recommendations is approximately 40–50%, which is why the health service of Castilla y León has developed a significant number of chronic care programs. Spent years promoting activities to improve therapeutic adherence within the framework.
In this context, experience gained by the community’s public health system has shown the need to provide tools that facilitate the implementation of therapeutic plans with respect to medication adherence, and does so from a dual perspective: providing tools to better control their disease, more information about therapy that helps improve adherence to their treatment plan and more information shared with the professional; and providing healthcare professionals with tools that allow them to improve information about patients’ adherence to their treatment and that promote adequate communication in a health care environment that facilitates review of therapeutic plan.
To achieve these premises, regional health management has undertaken a project that facilitates the development of software and an application or system capable of integration into electronic medical records, adapted for consultation both by the patient from the computer. In format of. smart fone through the respective app.
Its implementation will allow the development of actions that will have a direct impact on the general objective of improving adherence and monitoring of prescribed pharmacological treatments and which are part of each patient’s therapeutic plan, with the following functionalities being planned for this project.
- Integrate a tool into the medical history that is capable of customizing the therapeutic plan by conducting a review and detecting drug-related events (repetitions, interactions, maximum doses, etc.).
- Record activities performed by professionals to evaluate and improve each user’s adherence.
- Add the customized supplement information for each individual to the medicine leaflet.
- Note both by the patient, both at the time of taking the drug and by self-measurement parameters (weight, blood pressure, capillary blood glucose, etc.); Thus, the health care professional would be able to view these records and, if deemed appropriate, integrate them into the clinical history, to be able to have more accurate information about the patient’s actual adherence and follow-up. . ,
- Provide patients with quick access to the prospectus of any available medication and other information of interest (eg, instructions for use of the inhaler, advice on monitoring blood glucose, recommendations on the appropriate use of antibiotics, etc.).
- Support the patient in adherence to treatment through calendars, notices, color codes, alert systems, notices addressed to the patient as reminders of actions to be taken.
- Receive messages for communication between various professionals assisting the patient to facilitate and accelerate the performance of tasks for the benefit of information and patient adherence.
- Develop care guide management systems to improve patient follow-up and clinical adherence
The project, which has partial funding from the European Union through the Regional Development Fund (ERDF), already has associated software development and is currently undergoing testing, with the forecast that it could become operational by next year. .