The defense reported that the Government invested USD 693 million in military equipment. However, most of the investment will be realized from the end of 2024.
Airplanes, ships, rifles, vests and other equipment are part of Investment portfolio of the Government of Guillermo Lasso for the Armed Forces (FF. AA). Overall, military spending planned for the coming years is close to USD 700 million.
This was revealed by Luis Lara, Minister of Defense, during a press conference to strengthen military capabilities, this September 13, 2023.
The Ecuadorian consumer is one of the least optimistic in the region
The goal of this investment is to develop equipment in three branches: Land, Naval and Air for FACE hybrid threats such as drug smugglingHE tERRORISM and the Crime organized transnational.
This portfolio includes, for example, the USD 7 million allocated to the Esmeraldas Joint Force; and another USD 8 million to improve conditions for voluntary military service.
According to Lara, most of the investment projects have been initiated Some equipment has even begun to arrive, such as 15 Cobra II type armored vehicles, which President Guillermo Lasso delivered to the Army on September 11, 2023.
However, most of the investment should happen at the end of 2024 and beginning of 2025. Because of this, Lara called on the next governments to continue these initiatives with budget certifications.
The official further announced that after the second round of elections scheduled for October 15, 2023, the security authorities in the area They will meet the winning candidate to make a transfer of information and to continue acquisitions.
During his presentation, Minister Luis Lara listed -at least- 23 projects are ongoing.
It is divided between the forces EARTH, Naval y aerial.
The Earth Force or Army is the one that more purchases there is a line. This includes the purchase of vehicles and equipment.
- Getting the 137 armored vehicles from Israel: 124 4X4 and 14 6X6.
- 51 vehicles will be delivered in August 2023, but due to the war in Ukraine there will be a delay and that batch will arrive in Ecuador until November 30.
- Another 51 vehicles will arrive in June 2024 and the balance in April 2025.
- Buy 5,775 kits consisting of helmet, vest and rifle. These teams are already in the country.
- At the end of September 2023, they will arrive in the country two mobile camps with a capacity of 120 soldiers, each.
- 2 million rounds of ammunition of various calibers were recovered.
- Buy 11,500 kits of 15 clothing items such as igloos, sleeping bags, vests, and more.
- The Military Intelligence system received 71 new trucks.
- Getting the 35 Cobra II type armored vehicle from Turkey.
- There are 20 in the country
- The remaining 15 will arrive in October 2023.
- Military units have received 500 helmets, 500 tactical vests, 100 ballistic shields and 500 pieces of anti-riot material.
- Through the cooperation of the United States, the Napo Jungle Brigade received communication equipment, vests, helmets, backpacks, worth USD 10 million.
On the side of Ecuadorian Navy the largest investment in Government projects healing on boats which was already inside the fleet, but was damaged over time.
- Construction of a multipurpose ship with a German shipyard.
- Recovery of three missile boats.
- Restoration of three corvettes: Galapagos, Loja and Esmeraldas.
- Donation of a tugboat for logistic support.
- For the cooperation of the US, the Navy received four unmanned vehicle systems (drones) to control the northern border.
- Purchase of a bouquet coast guard with a Dutch company.
For the Ecuadorian Air Force (FAE), he most ambitious project is to build a new air base in Tababela, next to Quito Airport.
In addition, the recovery of several aircraft is planned. Currently, FAE has two aircraft.Super toucan‘. But it is estimated that at the end of 2024 they should fly between 8 and 10 aircraft of this type.
- has been assigned USD 1.6 million for study to build on new air base in Tababela. This work cost USD 60 million.
- Maintenance of the entire radar system.
- Aircraft recovery Gulfstream G-1169.
- Acquisition of a USD 24 million radar that will arrive in the country by the end of 2024.
- Buy from the USA at a C-130 airplane which will arrive in the country in November 2023.
- Recovery of an L-100-30 aircraft.
- Maintain all FAE air resources.
- Maintenance of the aircraft fleet used for TRAINING and TRAINING of the cadets.
The pending projects
Finally, Minister Lara also announced two projects that have not yet been started, but with guaranteed financing. So he is next government You have to use it.
- Getting the two Casa C-295 airplanes, one for transportation for the Army and the other with technology for maritime exploration. The contract includes the purchase of spare parts for the entire Casa fleet in the Armed Forces.
- Purchase of five helicopters medium previously owned ‘Superpuma’ for the Land Force.