By Evans Sanon and Danica Cotto | Assistant Printing Press
The chief prosecutor of Port-au-Prince, Haiti-Haiti, on Tuesday told President Ariel Henry before a judge to indict Prime Minister Ariel Henry and prevent him from leaving the country, a move that could further destabilize the troubled country after the assassination and a recent major Earthquake.
The order, filed by Port-au-Prince prosecutor Bed-Ford Claude, came the same day he requested a meeting with Henry and explained why a key suspect in the assassination of President Jovenal Moss had called him twice just hours after the assassination.
“There is enough compromising material to sue Henry and make his direct allegations,” Claude wrote.
A spokesman for Henry could not immediately be reached for comment.
Cloud said the call was made at 0:60 a.m. and 20:20 a.m. in July, adding evidence that the suspect, Joseph Badie, was also around Moss’s home at the time. The plaintiff once worked for the Haiti Ministry of Justice and the government’s anti-corruption unit until he was fired in May for allegedly violating unspecified ethical rules.
In the two-page document, Claude says the calls lasted a total of seven minutes and that Henry was then at the Hotel Montana in Port-au-Prince. He also mentioned that a government official tweeted last month that Henry had told him he had never spoken to Badio.
On Monday, Justice Minister Rockefeller instructed Vincent Haiti’s national police chief to increase Claude’s security because prosecutors had received “significant and annoying” threats in the past five days.
The Associated Press received a letter Monday informing Henry Claude that he was dismissing him for an unspecified “serious administrative error” and that the decision took effect as soon as the documents were received. It was not immediately clear whether Cloud received it or whether his order to charge Henry was valid. Cloud did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Judge Gary O’Reilly has three months to investigate and take action on Claude’s request.
Robert Fatton, a Haitian political expert at the University of Virginia, said there was clearly a power struggle between the government and Henry and Mossi supporters.
“We have a very confusing situation, a power struggle at the moment, and we’ll see who wins,” he said. “It’s not clear where we’re going and it’s not clear what the international community is thinking about everything.”
In recent days, civil protection offices such as the Haitian ombudsman have announced that it is demanding Henry’s resignation and that the international community should stop supporting him.
Henry did not address the issue specifically in public, although he said during a meeting with politicians and civil society leaders on Saturday that he was committed to helping stabilize Haiti.
Henry said, “Rest assured that no confusion, no summons or invitation, no strategy, no threat, no rear guard fight, no aggression will distract me from my mission.” “The real culprits, intellectual writers and colleagues and sponsors of the assassination of President Jovenal Moss, will be found and brought to justice and punished for their crimes.”
Mons appointed Henry as prime minister shortly before Martin Moyes was fatally wounded and killed at his home.
More than 400 suspects have been arrested in the case, including one former Colombian soldier. Authorities are still searching for additional suspects, including a plaintiff and a former Haitian senator.
The court clerks are in hiding after receiving death threats if they do not change the names and statements specified in the report.
Also, a Haitian judge appointed to oversee the investigation resigned last month citing personal reasons. He left after one of his assistants died in obscure circumstances. A new judge has been appointed.