Thursday, October 28, 2021

The Nuggets’ Michael Porter Jr. Five Years On, Max Detail: My Way Is “So Much More Gratifying”

SAN DIEGO – Michael Porter Jr. knew the news was coming but was the last person to see it.

As Porter pulled into the airport on Monday afternoon, just hours after the Nuggets had ended their unofficial media day and were about to leave for training camp, he received a call from his agent, Mark Bartelstein.

The news — Porter’s five-year, maximum contract extension up to $207 million — was about to leak.

“I’m the last person on the airplane,” Porter said from the University of California San Diego gym after the first day of training camp.

“I walk in there and everyone, man, it just shows a lot about this team and this culture because I went there, and everyone was just hypnotized. … They saw it in front of me. They did it. Saw it on Instagram and Twitter on my phone. Will (Barton) was like, ‘Mike!'”

The deal, which had been in the works for months, gave Porter and his teammates something to celebrate for the two-hour flight.

“It’s funny how quickly news breaks in the NBA,” said Nuggets coach Michael Malone. “Even before he took off from Denver to get out of here, there was talk all over the plane and people were giving him business.”

A day after Porter became the Nuggets’ third maximum contract player on the roster, locking in a potential championship trio for the foreseeable future, the 23-year-old appeared unimpressed with his achievement. Humble and gullible, Porter said he was at a loss for words.

“In my opinion, it’s like, I don’t deserve it,” he said. “There are people who are just as talented as me in other areas of life. Let’s say you’re a professional ping-pong player. You’re not making that many millions of dollars…”

Porter hasn’t set his mileage down to anything in particular, he said, but he plans to look after some of the people who helped him reach Monday’s historic deal.

Read Also:  Ind vs Eng: The second Test in Chennai between India and England from today, may be the playing XI of both teams

It was three years ago when there was a question whether Porter would ever play basketball again after his second back surgery. Porter recalled training camp 2018 in San Diego, when he, Jared Vanderbilt and Isaiah Thomas walked around the court, unable to contribute to the title hunt.

Back in San Diego on Tuesday turned out to be a somewhat pinching moment for Porter, after securing his future in Denver for the next six years.

“I think it’s a lot more gratifying,” Porter said. “I’m one of those dudes who, even growing up, I didn’t think like, ‘Dang, I’ll make a million dollars when I go to the NBA.’ I thought about it, ‘Dang, I’m going to play LeBron, KD.’ It was never about the money for me.

“…the road I took made it all the more gratifying,” he said.

Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -