Food poisoning, a type of foodborne illness, is a condition that people get from something they eat or drink.
“In most cases it is a result of improper treatment of food during its acquisition, transformation, storage and preparation,” according to Julia Ocón, specialist in the area of Endocrinology and Nutrition Service of Lozano Blesa University Clinical Hospital, Zaragoza.
The most common symptoms of food poisoning are digestive in nature: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea that can be bloody, abdominal pain and, sometimes, fever, according to the Cuídate Plus health portal.
According to the QuironSalud Clinic, symptoms of poisoning usually appear between 2 and 6 hours after eating the contaminated food. However, the pain it causes usually lasts about 48 hours.
It should be remembered that the treatment of food poisoning should be carried out to prevent dehydration and relieve symptoms, should include, in addition to home remedies, a light diet, rest and increased water intake.
Coconut water is a good home remedy for food poisoning, because it is rich in vitamins and mineral salts, helps to hydrate the body, replenish nutrients and fluids lost through vomiting and diarrhea, help the body recover faster,
Some home remedies for poisoning
Ginger tea is rich in phenolic compounds such as gingerol or chogaol, which have an antiemetic action, helping to reduce nausea and vomiting, in addition to improving the symptoms of heartburn and indigestion, which is an excellent treatment option. these symptoms of food poisoning.
- 2 cm ginger root;
- 1 cup of water.
- Remove the skin from the ginger and cut into small pieces. Add ginger to a saucepan and add water and boil for 5 minutes. Cool, strain and drink up to 3 cups of tea per day.
- Ginger tea should be avoided by people using anticoagulants, such as warfarin or aspirin, because it can increase the risk of bleeding or blood loss.
- Additionally, pregnant women who are about to give birth or have a history of miscarriage, clotting problems, or who are at risk of bleeding should avoid using this tea.
Fennel tea has anethole, estragole and camphor in its composition, which has antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and digestive action, which is an excellent home remedy option to reduce colic, gas, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. due to food poisoning.
- 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds;
- 1 cup of boiling water.
- Add fennel seeds to a glass of boiling water. Cover and refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain and drink to continue. You can drink 2 to 3 cups per day. Another option is to use fennel tea bags.
- Pregnant or lactating women should consult their doctor before drinking this tea.
Serum at home
- The serum at home is an excellent choice for a home remedy for food poisoning, because it is rich in minerals, salts and sugars, which help to maintain the body’s function and prevent dehydration. can occur due to vomiting and diarrhea.