Mushrooms can be listed on the list of loved and hated foods. For many it is a delicious and very versatile food, but for others it is a difficult vegetable to digest. However, very few people know about its health benefits.
In particular, edible mushrooms or mushrooms, commonly called champignons, contain large amounts of B complex vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber, which help regulate blood sugar levels, cholesterol levels, and more. and strengthen the immune system. According to health portal your health.
In fact, researchers at Pennsylvania State University have discovered that eating 90 grams of mushrooms daily may help control blood sugar levels and prevent the development of the disease.
Dr. Margherita T. Cantorna, lead author of the study, published in Journal of Functional Foods, show that mushrooms produce subtle changes in the composition of the microbiota that improve glucose regulation in the liver.
The beneficial effect is due to the prebiotic action of chitin, a specific mushroom fiber. According to researchers, Digestive bacteria from the mushroom fibers produce fatty acids that act on the expression of genes involved in glucose control.
Better glucose management is key to preventing diabetes and has implications for other metabolic diseases.
Specifically, mushrooms increase populations of bacteria of the genus Prevotella, which produce the fatty acids propionate and succinate. Cantorna points out that studies show that Any change in diet will be reflected in changes to the gut microbiota.
The research has been done with laboratory rats, but it is believed that this may reflect what happens in the human gut.
Other Benefits of Mushrooms
strengthen the immune system
- Mushrooms contain a good amount of beta-glucans, fibers that help boost the body’s defenses.
prevent heart disease
they help satisfy hunger
- According to a study published in , another benefit of eating mushrooms is that they provide a good amount of fiber and hence, help satisfy your hunger. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition,
- A good trick to avoid overeating and snacking without starving yourself is to include a small portion of high-fiber foods in your meals.
- Being rich in selenium, North American nutritionists point to mushrooms as a suitable food for prostate health.
- It is also recommended to combat premature aging, arteriosclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, infertility or acne.
They are a source of antioxidants
- Consumption of mushrooms provides various essential nutrients. One of these is selenium, a mineral with antioxidant properties that maintains skin’s elasticity, and counteracts the toxicity of heavy metals found in the environment as a result of pollution.
- For this reason, it can be said that, in general terms, according to the portal, mushrooms are good allies in the care of skin health, especially when it comes to preventing premature aging. Better with health.
improve bowel function
- They are rich in fiber and water, which are important in helping with stool formation and elimination.
improve bone health
- They contain a good amount of vitamins and minerals like vitamin D and phosphorus, which help in making bones strong.