Tuesday, September 28, 2021

The UK court will confirm that sexual harassment can be served on Prince Andrew

The High Court in London said on Wednesday it would take “necessary action” to produce documents against Britain’s Prince Andrew in a US lawsuit filed by a woman accused of sexual harassment two decades ago.

The prince, Queen Elizabeth’s second son, Virginia Geoffrey, accused him of beating her when she was 17, at one point saying she was abused by financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Andrew 1-year-old Andrew, officially known as the Duke of York, has denied the allegations and his lawyers have described the case as baseless. His legal team declined to comment.

Last week, Geoffrey’s legal team said it tried to deliver documents to Andrew by leaving documents with a police officer at his home in the south of England. The prince’s lawyers told the U.S. District Court in Manhattan that they were not properly served under English law and the Hague Convention.

A spokesman for the London High Court said the issue of how to claim parties under different jurisdictions is governed by the Hague Service Convention, which requires the request and approval of the relevant authorities in each country.

“Lawyers representing Mrs. Geoffrey have now provided further information to the High Court and the High Court has accepted the request for services under the Hague Service Convention,” the spokesman said in a statement.

“The legal process has not yet been completed but the High Court will now take steps to act under the convention unless the service is arranged by agreement between the parties.”

Read Also:  Rescue operation underway at Sudbury mine, 33 out of 39 workers rescued so far

Manhattan hearing

At a hearing in Manhattan on Monday, Andrew Bretler, the prince’s lawyer, said Geoffrey appears to have signed the right to sue the prince in a separate case in 2009.

“This is a baseless, incompetent, potentially illegal lawsuit,” Bretler said. “There has been a settlement agreement that the plaintiff entered into a prior activity that relieves the Duke and others of any and all possible liability.”

A former friend of Andrew Epstein, a registered sex offender who committed suicide in a Manhattan jail in August 2019 after being charged with sexually abusing dozens of girls and women against U.S. prosecutors.

The prince withdrew from royal duties and charities, and other organizations distanced themselves from him after a BBC interview in November 2019 about his relationship with Epstein.

Read Also:  How the pandemic has changed holidays in the UK

He denies having sex or any relationship with Geoffrey. Her lawsuit, filed last month, says she was forced to have unwanted sex at the London home of Ghiselin Maxwell, a British social worker and longtime associate of Epstein.

It also said Andrew abused Geoffrey at Epstein’s mansion on Manhattan’s Upper East Side and at Epstein, a private island owned by the US Virgin Islands.

Maxwell has been convicted of sexually assaulting Epstein. He faces a scheduled trial on Nov. 2 before U.S. District Judge Alison Nathan in Manhattan.

The next hearing in Giuffre’s case is scheduled for October 13.

The UK court will confirm that sexual harassment can be served on Prince Andrew
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

Leave a Reply