One of the new features of iOS 17 that made the most impression is StandBy. This function turns our iPhone into a smart screen even when it is idle. We’ll tell you which details make the difference so you can get the most out of it.
What makes this new standby mode so special? Well, it allows us to enjoy personalized information at a glance and it is perfect for our desk or furnishings, bedside table or kitchen counter. Let’s see what options you have.
StandBy: Your iPhone screen is now smarter when in sleep mode
One of the main features of iOS 17 is the standby mode that will be activated by default on your iPhone once your device is updated. This mode is automatically activated when you place your iPhone horizontally on a wireless charging pad or MagSafe. You can also use a wired charger and position your iPhone in landscape mode, it will have the same effect. The most important thing is that the iPhone screen is locked and in a horizontal position.
When you activate standby mode on your iPhone, you’ll see a different screen experience than what we’re used to. In it we can see useful information at a glance. Here are some of the key features:
- Current date and time: See the current date and time on your iPhone at a glance.
- Incoming calls: If you receive a call while your iPhone is in standby mode, you can see who is calling you and respond quickly.
- Siri Answers: This smart display lets you ask Siri questions and get instant answers. In this sense, it acts as a “hub” so to speak. There are people who believe that a mix of standby mode and a screen on the HomePod would be ideal.
- Personalized information: In addition to showing the time and calls, you can also customize this view to show additional information from other applications that interest you, such as the weather or the score of a soccer game.
How to enable and disable standby mode in iOS 17?
How to activate StandBy:
Enabling standby mode on iPhone is very easy and only requires three simple steps:
- Make sure you have iOS 17 installed and Sleep mode is turned on in Settings – Sleep.
- Place your iPhone horizontally on a wireless charger, MagSafe, or use a wired charger and put it in landscape mode as well. Make sure the screen is locked.
- Ready! Standby mode is automatically activated on your iPhone. The first time you use it, you will see a splash screen that will walk you through this exciting feature.
How to deactivate StandBy:
If at any time you want to disable this feature, it is just as easy:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings – Sleep.
- Disable the sleep option.
One of the keys to StandBy Mode is its adaptability. With StandBy it is possible to customize this smart screen according to your wishes:
- Add widgets: By default, an analog clock and a calendar widget are displayed in standby mode. Swipe up on any of them to change the view. From this screen you can view action information, weather status, reminders and upcoming events, or even control your HomeKit devices.
- Create widget stacks: If you want even more information, you can create widget stacks to access multiple widgets by swiping up and down. The same way widget stacks work on the iPhone home screen.
- Customize your watch face: In standby mode you can choose from five different watch styles. Simply swipe up or long-press on the current watch style to explore the available options.
- Always-on mode: For iPhone 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max models with always-on displays, standby mode is available at any time when the screen is off and the device is charging in landscape mode.