Thursday, February 2, 2023

They warn that there will be a huge increase in the price of beef.

Postponing the hike which is usually implemented in November, it is expected that the price per kg over the counter for the month of March will go up to $1,500 to $1,800 or $1,900. He says delay in prices affects the entire marketing chain. For this reason, on Tuesday last week, the butchers had already got an increase in the price of half the beef.

Whatsapp Image 2023 01 04 At 16.40.31
Despite the fact that the price of meat lagged in relation to the inflationary process, consumption did not accelerate. Photo: Iara CERASI / North

From the editorial staff of EL NORTE

redaccion@diarioelnorte.com.ar

On Tuesday of last week, the price of meat “on the hook” (that is, half of the beef that is slaughtered at butchers’ shops) rose by 20 pesos per kilo. This increase was transferred over the counter, with a kilo of pulp or roast selling for between $1,400 and $1,500 in butcher shops in the centre. “A kilo of beef that cost $680 until last week is now $700,” says Mario, owner of “La Botica de la Carne.” “Through the rapid increase, we calculate that by March the price per kilo of meat on the counter will be between $1,800 and $1,900,” Mario warned. In other words, the worst is yet to come.

“They’re saying that in March they’re going to reduce the average beef price to $900 a kilo. What happens is the price of beef should go up in November, as it does every year because that’s the month where the animals change But, like never before, due to low consumption, they decided to postpone the price update. What if the November and March hikes were clubbed together. This is going to be a huge hike. is”, explains the butcher.

In fact, delay in prices affects the entire marketing chain. Because the increase in freight (due to increase in the price of diesel) and animal feed has not been commensurate with the increase in the price of meat. “The feedlot owners can’t take it anymore. Today they are selling the animals almost at a loss,” says Mario, who does not rule out that there could be a new increase next week to top the expected increase for March. Be (slightly) less important.

Today half a piece of beef (between 85 and 90 kg) costs the butcher about $65,000. About 70% of that piece is used, as is the other 30% bone and fat.

A half-beef that cost $680 a kilo at the butcher’s till last week is now worth $700. And the price is expected to be around $900 for March.

below inflation

The cattle business doesn’t take off until early 2023, while the price of beef in gondolas hasn’t increased half a percent compared to the inflation projected during 2022. The price of beef cattle, with prices that will be transferred over the counter in the coming months.

Roast prices increased by 70.8% between October 2021 and October 2022, minced meat increased by 69.0%, shoulder prices by 70.6%, rump prices by 72.2% and butt prices by 70.1%. However, intake of the product did not increase. Beef consumption in Argentina remains historically low, at around 47 kg per inhabitant per year, a historical low.

not even at parties

In relation to the drop in consumption, Butcher estimated that sales for the New Year’s Eve celebration were equal to or slightly better than a normal weekend. “All the butchers I talked to assure that they sell as much or a little more than they sell on the weekend of any other month of the year. Pig farmers and pollinators say the same. In other words, there was no level of consumption at the other end of the year. Before, a butcher shop might sell 15 or 20 piglets for the holidays. Today it is almost impossible to reach those numbers because a piglet can cost between $17,000 and $18,000″, Mario says. The butcher even says that there were people who would buy half a pig or half a pig for Christmas or New Years. Used to ask for even a quarter.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news