Sacramento, Calif. ( Associated Press) — Sacramento police named a third suspect Tuesday in what they say was a gang-related mass shooting in downtown Sacramento that killed six people earlier this month.
He said the evidence gathered so far showed that 27-year-old Matula Payton was among at least five suspected shooters. Two brothers are in custody in the case, but Payton is absconding.
Payton is being sought on multiple felony warrants, including gun charges and domestic violence.
The domestic violence warrant stems from an incident on the afternoon of April 2, hours before the downtown shooting.
Police retaliated at the home of one of Peyton’s relatives and spoke to the injured woman. She alleged that Peyton had inflicted a wound on her. Officers could not find Peyton there, but they sought an arrest warrant.
“We are investigating all aspects of the incident so that it can be fully understood,” the department said in a statement.
For the first time, the police have also included Smiley Martin among the suspected shooters. Martin is charged with possession of a firearm and machine gun by a banned person. It was unclear if he had an attorney who could speak for him.
He had previously stated that his brother, Dandre Martin, was one of the shooters. No one has been charged with murder as the Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office reviews the evidence.
The brothers were among 12 injured at a shooting bar just off the California Capitol that broke down early on April 3 as the bar was exiting. Over 100 gunshots resonated in the D’Ontown entertainment area The frightened patrons ran for their lives and others were gunned down.
Smiley Martin is hospitalized, and Dandre Martin is being held in the county jail without bail.
Payton is a fugitive whose current whereabouts are unknown, police said. He said the detectives have exhausted all leads and sought the public’s help in locating him.
Only one gun was recovered from the scene, but police said the others were removed before officers arrived. Police declined to provide more details or name the gangs they say were involved or linked to any suspects.
“The investigation has progressed very rapidly this first week and will continue until we present a full picture of this horrific crime to prosecutors and the public,” Police Chief Cathy Lester said in a statement.
Associated Press Writer Stephanie Dizio in Los Angeles contributed to this report.