Three more die in historic floods in Australia

The death toll from devastating floods in eastern Australia continues to rise. Australian broadcaster ABC confirmed two more victims in the notably affected city of Lismore on Wednesday, citing officials. So far three people have died in the state of New South Wales. According to police, another victim was also recovered in neighboring Queensland. So far ten people have died here.

Given the dramatic situation in many areas, officials expected more deaths. “Indeed, we know we may see more deaths in the coming days,” said New South Wales deputy premier Paul Tolle. “It’s a horrifying incident.”

[Wenn Sie aktuelle Nachrichten aus Berlin, Deutschland und der Welt live auf Ihr Handy haben wollen, empfehlen wir Ihnen unsere App, die Sie hier für Apple- und Android-Geräte herunterladen können.]

After visiting the city of Ipswich, Queensland Regional Prime Minister Annastasia Palaszczuk said the situation was “indescribable”. Rebuilding the area will take a long time. The public is desperate. Many are crying and don’t know what to do next.

Heavy damage has occurred in Southeast Queensland. A flood victim cleans up near Brisbane.Photo: DPA/Darren England

Emergency services continued to work tirelessly to help those in need. Hundreds of schools remained closed, roads were closed.

But there was still no clear: meteorologists predicted more heavy rain with potential flooding, particularly for the area around Australia’s largest city Sydney and to the south-east of Queensland. The Queensland Weather Service warned on Twitter of “largest hailstorms” and “possibly destructive gusts of wind”.

Subscribe

Get the best of Newspaper delivered to your inbox daily

Most Viewed

Related Stories