On Monday, forces in Ethiopia’s Tigray region said the Ethiopian government had launched airstrikes on the region’s capital, Mekelle.
The explosion was also reported by residents and humanitarian workers in Tigray, but the Ethiopian government denied the allegations.
The United Nations has said it is looking into reports of strikes.
“We are deeply concerned about the potential impact on civilians,” said UN spokesman Stefan Dujarrik.
US State Department spokesman Ned Price said the United States is also investigating reports of the attack. “Overall, we remain gravely concerned about the escalation of violence in Tigray for some time now,” he said.
Agence France-Presse reported that at least three people were killed in the airstrike on Monday, according to an employee at a hospital in Mequelle.
Witnesses in the area say one of the airstrikes came near the market. The accounts could not be verified because the connection in the region was disconnected.
Legess Tulu, a spokesman for the Ethiopian government, denies that the government has carried out any attacks on Mekelle.
There has been no large-scale fighting in Mekella since June, when Tigray’s forces regained control of most of the region and Ethiopian forces left the area. After that, the conflict continued to spread to the neighboring regions of Amhara and Afar.
Tigray’s forces said last week that the Ethiopian military launched a ground offensive to drive them out of Amhara.
Ethiopia’s federal government has been in armed conflict with militants from the northern Tigray region for almost a year.
Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed dispatched troops to Tigray last November, saying it was in response to attacks on federal army camps by forces loyal to the Popular Front for the Liberation of Tigray.
The United Nations has said that the fighting has left thousands of people dead and hundreds of thousands more at risk of starvation.
Some of the information in this report came from the Associated Press, Reuters and Agence France-Presse.