Rapper Travis Scott said Monday that he will cover the funeral costs of eight people killed in a crowd on Friday night during his performance at the Astroworld festival in Houston.
Eight victims, aged between 14 and 27 years old, were in a densely packed crowd of 50,000 people that gushed heavily. Another 25 people were hospitalized, including a 10-year-old child who is reportedly in critical condition.
Scott, who previously said that he “shocked“Through what happened at the festival he planned, he also partnered with BetterHelp’s therapy platform to offer a month of free therapy to Astroworld attendees.
Those gathered in the crowd described a very traumatic event when people were so tightly packed that they could not breathe and pleas for help were ignored.
“It was not a concert, it was a struggle to survive,” accompanist Jeffrey Schmidt told CNN.
“I witnessed how several people lost consciousness and could not breathe, as people below me cried out for my help. But I couldn’t help physically. What traumatized me the most was that I could not help others, ”he said.
Attendees have already started filing lawsuits against Scott and the event organizer, Live Nation, for failing to provide adequate security.
The show was not stopped until at least 30 minutes after emergency services announced the incident of “mass casualties.” Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña said some of the blame undoubtedly fell on Scott for not responding.
“The only person who can really call and get a tactical break when something goes wrong is this performer,” Peña told The New York Times. “They have this hooligan pulpit and they are responsible.”