Monday, October 18, 2021

Trevor Bauer appears in court to fight sexual assault allegations

LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer appeared in court Friday to fight an extension of a protective order sought by a woman who says he pressed her to the point where she lost consciousness and died earlier this year. Two punched her during sexual encounters.

Bauer and the woman’s lawyers revealed during a short court session that they intended to call several witnesses, including Bauer, and argue the order amounts to a trial lasting three days.

Judge Diana Gold-Saltman delayed the start of the hearing until August 2 because Bauer’s attorney, Sean Holly, said she was given the woman’s witness list late and had insufficient time to prepare.

“We came here prepared, but prepared on what was presented to us,” Holly told the court.

Gould-Saltman ruled that Bauer would be required to take the stand and refuse to answer potentially probabilistic questions at a time as standard in such civil proceedings. He declines Holly’s request to avoid witnessing her altogether. Holly said she was strongly advising Bauer against saying anything.

Police in Pasadena, California, are also investigating allegations of possible criminal charges, so abstaining from self-incrimination is essential for their legal team.

The judge extended the temporary restraining order preventing Bauer from having any contact with the woman until the full hearing was completed.

The pitcher’s agents, John Fetterolph and Rachel Luba, have disputed the allegations. Fetterolf said in a statement that the pair’s brief relationship was “completely consensual”. The statement said Bauer has messages from the woman asking about what kind of “rough” sex they are.

Read Also:  Euro 2020: England-Croatia scores and live updates

Major League Baseball placed Bauer on paid leave on July 2 as part of a joint domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policy adopted by MLB and the Players Union in 2015. The holiday has been extended till July 27 and can be extended further.

The San Diego-based woman said in court documents that she and Bauer met on Instagram after he tagged her in a photo during a game against the Padres in May.

Documents say she later went to his home in Pasadena and had a sexual encounter with him that began with consent but turned violent without his consent.

The second incident, in which she alleged that Bauer repeatedly punched her, left her with two black eyes, a blood-stained lip, significant bruising and a bruise on one side of her face. She included photos showing the injuries.

Documents say she sought the order because Bauer was repeatedly calling and texting her after the second encounter to ask if she was okay, and that she didn’t want further contact with him.

Bauer’s agents said he had not contacted her in a month when the sanctions order was first sought, making the move baseless.

The Associated Press generally does not identify people who say they have been victims of sexual assault.

Bauer agreed to a $102 million, three-year contract earlier this year to join his hometown Dodgers after winning his first Cy Young with the Cincinnati Reds last season. Bauer is 8-5 at the start of this season with a 2.59 ERA at 17.

Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -