Double child killer Colin Pitchfork was released from prison after failing to keep him in custody for a longer period of time.
Pitchfork, now in his early 60s, was sentenced to life imprisonment after raping and strangling 15-year-old Linda Mann and Dawn Ashworth in Leicestershire in 1983 and 1986.
In 1988, he pleaded guilty to two murders, two rapes, two indecency and conspiracy to pervert judicial procedures, and became the first person to be convicted of murder based on DNA evidence.
The 30-year minimum sentence for Pitchfork was shortened by two years in 2009. He was transferred to an open prison three years ago and was released on Wednesday.
A Department of Justice spokesperson said: “After the Independent Parole Board decided to release Colin Pitchfork, we still extend our heartfelt sympathy to the families of Lynda Mann and Dawn Ashworth.
“Public safety is our top priority, which is why he has to comply with some of the strictest permit conditions ever and will be monitored for the rest of his life.
“If he violates these conditions, he will be at risk of returning to prison immediately.”
Dawn Ashworth’s mother, Barbara Ashworth, told PA News Agency: “Well, he will be released on the books, but I don’t think he should breathe the same air as us.
“It goes without saying that in his case, life should mean life, because he said he committed a crime and murdered two girls… and he did more.”
When asked if he was surprised that Pitchfork was eligible for release, Ashworth said: “Yes, I think so. They did say that if they did this today, he would not be released.
“But this can’t be any excuse. I didn’t have my daughter back, nor did I have any hopes and dreams in her life.
“She is my only daughter, and you live your life through them and their future-but that was taken away.”
At the hearing in March, the Parole Board ruled that Pitchfork was “fit for release”, although this was rejected in 2016 and 2018.
In June, Attorney General Robert Buckland asked the government-independent board to review the decision under a so-called reconsideration mechanism.
But the Parole Board rejected the government’s challenge to its ruling next month, announcing that the application to reconsider the decision had been rejected.
South Leicestershire MP Alberto Costa, who opposed the release of the murderer, said he was “deeply disappointed” by the decision and said that he had done everything possible to stop it.
Buckland also expressed his disappointment, but said he respected this decision.
Pitchfork will be included in the roster of sex offenders and must comply with other permit conditions, including must live at a designated address, receive probation supervision, wear electronic tags, participate in a polygraph test, and must disclose what transportation he uses. Who speaks to, and at the same time faces special restrictions on contact with children.
He will also be subject to curfews, restrictions on the use of technology, and restrictions on where he can go.
The government plans to overhaul the parole system, and the results of the review are expected later this year. It is also trying to change the law so that child killers face prison life without parole.
Author: Flora Thompson
This News Originally From – The Epoch Times