Search
Sunday, December 04, 2022

Ukrainian commander inside Mariupol steel plant says evacuation of civilians has begun

A Satellite Image Shows An Overview Of The Azovstal Steel Plant, The Ukrainians' Last Military Holdout Site Also Serving As A Civilian Shelter, In Mariupol, Ukraine, On April 29.
A satellite image shows an overview of the Azovstal Steel Plant, Ukrainian’s last military holdout site serving as a civilian shelter on April 29 in Mariupol, Ukraine. (Maxor Technologies/Reuters)

According to a commander of the Azov regiment, one of the Ukrainian soldiers trapped at the plant, some civilians have been evacuated from the Azovstal Steel Works in Mariupol after the ceasefire was enforced.

Captain Svyatoslav Palmar, deputy commander of the Azov regiment, said the ceasefire, which was to begin at 6 a.m. local time, ended at 11 a.m. local time.

“As of now, it is true, both sides observe the ceasefire regime,” he said.

He said there was a lot of delay in the evacuation convoy. “Since 6 am, we have been waiting for the arrival of the evacuation convoy, which arrived only at 6:25 pm”

“We have brought 20 civilians to the agreed meeting point, whom we have managed to pull out from under the rubble. These are women and children. We hope that these people will go to the agreed destination, which is Zaporizhzhya, controlled by Ukraine. area,” Palmar said.

“As of now, the rescue operation by the Azov troops continues – we rescue civilians from under the rubble,” he said.

“These are women, children and the elderly,” he said in a video message on the regiment’s Telegram channel.

“We are hopeful that this process will be carried forward and we will successfully evacuate all civilians,” he said.

“As far as the injured – people who need immediate medical care – it is not clear to us why they are not being evacuated and their evacuation in the territory controlled by Ukraine is not being discussed,” he said. has been,” he said.
“I emphasize that we ask to guarantee evacuation not only for civilians but also for our wounded soldiers who require medical care.”

Russia’s state news agency TASS said earlier on Saturday that a group of civilians had left the steel plant. A correspondent at the scene told TASS that a total of 25 people came out, including six children under the age of 14. Nation World News cannot independently confirm the TASS reporting.

Hundreds are believed to be inside the steel complex, with dozens injured during Russian bombings over the past several weeks. The latest satellite images of the plant show that many of its buildings have been reduced to ruins.

Defenders of the Azovstal plant said Wednesday night’s attacks on a makeshift hospital built inside the complex added to the number of injured.

Here’s what a part of the plant looked like about six weeks ago:

A Satellite Image From March 22 Shows An Overview Of The Azovstal Steel Plant In Mariupol, Ukraine.
A satellite image from March 22 shows an overview of the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol, Ukraine.

,

Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.

Latest News

Related Stories