Monday, February 6, 2023

United States ends search for migrants missing in shipwreck

The US Coast Guard this Wednesday called off the search for nine Cubans who went missing after a shipwreck off the southeast coast of Florida on Sunday, the organization announced on Twitter. The source said the rescue team traveled nearly 4,000 km in search of the migrants without any sign of help.

“Our condolences to the loved ones of those killed at sea,” the Coast Guard said on social networks. The search began on Sunday afternoon after a man rescued a migrant in the ocean near Lake Worth Beach, about 100 kilometers north of Miami.

The survivor then reported that he had left Cuba on 10 December with nine other people and that their boat capsized on Sunday morning.

Shortly before announcing the end of its operation, the Coast Guard indicated on Twitter that it was searching for two other migrants whose boat was about 60 km from Boot Key in the Florida Keys. The other 19 people on that boat, whose nationalities were not disclosed, were rescued.

In the last weeks, The number of Cuban rafters making the perilous sea voyage to the United States appears to have skyrocketed.

The Coast Guard has detained approximately 3,450 Cuban citizens at sea since October 1, the first day of the new fiscal year 2023.

For its part, the US Customs and Border Protection office has arrested 244 Cubans who arrived on the Florida coast on unsustainable vessels in various operations over the past nine days.

Cuba is grappling with its worst economic crisis in three decades. The decline in tourism during the COVID-19 pandemic and the tightening of US sanctions under the presidency of Donald Trump (2017–2021) added to the structural weaknesses of the local economy.

According to data published by the US authorities, between October 2021 and October 2022, 224,000 Cubans entered the United States illegally, a record number. Most of them try to reach the North American country by land, passing through Central America and Mexico.

There was an incident of violence in the New York subway in the last hours; An officer may have shot a passenger in the middle of an argument, officials are already investigating what happened. According to police, it all happened around 9:00 pm on Tuesday, December 20 at the Union Street Station in Park Slope.

Information handled by officers indicates that a 39-year-old man approached two Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) officers who were at the Atlantic Street station, where a verbal discussion ensued due to issues that are still under investigation. .

The two workers involved got off the train at Union Street in an attempt to avoid a confrontation, but the subject also followed them to continue the discussion. From here the atmosphere became more violent.

One of the MTA workers, who had a gun, walked away, then pulled out his gun and issued a warning to the man to stop harassing him.

“The armed employee repeated the subject several times to back off, the man ignored and tried to disarm the employee, during the struggle the MTA employee fired a charge and struck the subject in the chest”, reported traffic chief of NY, Michael Kemper.

The injured subject was transferred to Methodist Hospital to save his life; As per the latest report released by the hospital, his condition remains critical due to the massive damage caused to his vital organs by the bullet. Meanwhile, the investigation by authorities continues to determine exactly what happened, in addition to determining the level of responsibility of the two individuals involved in the violent act.

*With inputs from AFP.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Desk
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news