The call center for electricity, gas and water in the US city of Memphis is currently only handling emergency calls. Customers with non-emergency customer service questions should speak with a service advisor at one of the MLGW Community Office locations: 5131 Navy Road, Millington • 2935 Lamar Avenue • 1111 E.
The utility company asks customers to call the emergency hotline, 528-4465, to report water leaks on the street or in a building. The hotline should not be used to notify customers of low water pressure or no water.
Customers receiving water from MLGW (except Bartlett, Collierville, Germantown and Millington) are subject to a boil water advisory until further notice. Customers, commercial and residential, should also conserve water at this time.
MLGW launched the emergency water management phase of its drought management plan on Monday.
Residential customers should limit water use to:
- do not wash vehicles
- Wash clothes and utensils only when absolutely necessary and if possible, wash them by hand using a utensil.
- Do not let the water run while shaving.
- Take short showers instead of baths (turn off the water when soaping or shampooing. If you must use the tub, turn off the drain before turning on the water and only fill the tub halfway).
- Do not use water to thaw frozen foods (refrigerate overnight).
- Sweep driveways, sidewalks, and stairs instead of sitting down.
Commercial and industrial customers should limit water use to:
- Do not flush any system unless necessary.
- Reduce use by up to 75% when water is not needed to produce goods and services.
- Any nursery, garden center, etc. You should only use the amount of water needed to keep the plants alive.