By Evans Sanon and Danica Cotto | Assistant Printing Press
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – The new chief prosecutor was sworn in on Tuesday, an hour after Prime Minister Ariel Henry accused his predecessor, a judge, of assassinating the president and prevented him from leaving Haiti, a move that could further destabilize the country. Unrest erupted after the killings and the recent major earthquake.
At the request of Port-au-Prince prosecutor Bedford Claude, who was fired by Henry, the prosecutor asked the prime minister to come to a meeting the same day and explain why he had twice spoken to the main suspect, just hours after the assassination of President Jovenal Moss. Was killed.
“There’s enough conciliatory material to sue Henry and get him directly charged,” wrote Claude, a former replacement lawyer for Franz Louis Juste, who was involved in a fire at an orphanage that killed more than a dozen children. Near Port-au-Prince last year.
Henry’s spokesman could not be reached for comment.
It is unclear whether Cloud’s removal will have any effect on the case, but one analyst noted that the investigation is in the hands of a judge.
It is unknown at this time what he will do after leaving the post. The Associated Press received a letter Monday telling Henry Claude that he was being fired for an unspecified “serious administrative error” and that the decision took effect as soon as the document was received.
Claude did not respond to a request for comment on his dismissal or when he received the letter.
Cloud said the phone calls in question were made at 0:60 a.m. and 20:20 a.m. in July, adding that evidence was found that suspect Joseph Badi was also around Moss’s home at the time. The plaintiff once worked for the Haiti Ministry of Justice and the government’s anti-corruption unit until he was fired in May for allegedly violating unspecified ethical rules.
In the two-page document, Claude said the calls lasted a total of seven minutes and that Henry was then at the Hotel Montana in Port-au-Prince. The prosecutor further noted that a government official tweeted last month that Henry had told him he had never spoken to Badio.
On Monday, Justice Rockefeller instructed Vincent Haiti’s national police chief to increase Claude’s security because Claude had received “significant and annoying” threats in the past five days.
Brian Concannon, an adviser at the Haiti Institute for Justice and Democracy, said he did not expect much change despite the appointment of a new prosecutor. “A lot of it is theater,” he said.
Concannon noted that the murder case is in the hands of Judge Gary Orlean and that he can decide whether Henry should be investigated, even if the new prosecutor advises otherwise. He said the judge has three months to decide whether to take action.
Robert Fatton, a Haitian political expert at the University of Virginia, said there was clearly a power struggle between the government and Henry and Mossi supporters.
“We have a very confusing situation, a power struggle at the moment, and we’ll see who wins,” he said. “It’s not clear where we’re going and it’s not clear what the international community is thinking about everything.”
In recent days, civil protection offices such as the Haitian ombudsman have announced that it is demanding Henry’s resignation and that the international community should stop supporting him.
Henry did not address the issue specifically in public, although he said during a meeting with politicians and civil society leaders on Saturday that he was committed to helping stabilize Haiti.
Henry said, “Rest assured that no confusion, no summons or invitation, no strategy, no threat, no rear guard fight, no aggression will distract me from my mission.” “The real culprits, intellectual writers and colleagues and sponsors of the assassination of President Jovenal Moss, will be found and brought to justice and punished for their crimes.”
Mons appointed Henry as prime minister shortly before Martin Moyes was fatally wounded and killed at his home.
More than 400 suspects have been arrested in the case, including one former Colombian soldier. Authorities are still searching for additional suspects, including a plaintiff and a former Haitian senator.
The court clerks are in hiding after receiving death threats if they do not change the names and statements specified in the report.
Also, a Haitian judge appointed to oversee the investigation resigned last month citing personal reasons. He left after one of his assistants died in obscure circumstances. A new judge has been appointed.