The U.S. Treasury Department said Friday that it has approved four Iranian intelligence operatives behind a failed plot to kidnap a U.S. journalist and human rights activist.
The ban comes after U.S. prosecutors indicted four people in July for plotting to kidnap a New York-based journalist critical of Tehran, which was previously confirmed by Reuters as Iranian-American journalist Masih Alinejad.
Iran has called the alleged conspiracy “baseless.”
“The Iranian government’s abduction plot is another example of its relentless efforts, no matter where the critical voices are,” said Andrea Gaki, head of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control. “Targeting dissidents abroad proves that government repression extends beyond Iran’s borders.”
The sanctions block all property of the four Iranians in the United States or under U.S. control and prohibit any transactions between them and U.S. citizens. Other non-Americans who make certain transactions with the four may also be subject to U.S. sanctions, the department added.
Among those approved are senior Iranian-based intelligence officer Alireza Shahrogi Farahani and Iranian intelligence operatives Mahmoud Khazain, Kia Sadegi and Omid Nouri.