The United States “will continue to use all available tools against those who work to undermine democracy and the rule of law in Guatemala,” A State Department spokesman warned after the seizure of that country’s election records.
The head of US diplomacy Antony Blinken expressed “his support for a peaceful political change” in a virtual meeting this Monday, October 2, with the elected president of Guatemala Bernardo Arévalo, Spokesman Matthew Miller said in a statement.
The prosecutor’s office raided the headquarters of Guatemala’s electoral court and seized boxes containing records of election results on Friday and Saturday. which Arévalo won in the second round last August.
Arévalo criticized the confiscation of the minutes as hiding the intentions of the coup and that the transition process between the outgoing government of President Alejandro Giammattei and himself is under threat.
According to the spokesperson, the head of the American democracy stated “his solidarity with the people of Guatemala, “in the face of continued efforts to prevent a democratic transfer of power.”
Blinken told Arévalo that he hoped he could get a job “on topics of shared interest” such as “irregular migration”, at a time when the increase in migrants trying to cross the United States is of great concern to Washington.
Arévalo also reported on this meeting to your X account (formerly Twitter).
“We exchanged and repeated our commitment so that democracy prevails and respect for the vote of Guatemalans is guaranteed, as well as mutual cooperation to create development opportunities for the country,” he said.
Since June, legal attacks against the election court have increased and the Semilla de Arévalo party, despite many convictions at home and abroad.
This weekend Miller announced that the United States is taking steps to impose visa restrictions on those who undermine democracy, including congressmen and “judicial actors.” “The Guatemalan people speak. “His voice must be respected,” he admitted.
Arévalo criticized that his party was a victim of judicial persecution after being requested by the prosecution The movement was suspended due to alleged anomalies in its registration in 2017.
The latest raid – the fifth so far – has again sparked fierce criticism and street protests, where groups of protesters blocked the roads to demand the resignation of Attorney General Consuelo Porras.