Monday, January 17, 2022

US sets start date for funds to ‘rip and replace’ Huawei and ZTE network equipment

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on September 27 approved a $1.9 billion program to repay US telecom carriers for “rip and replace” network equipment manufactured by Huawei, ZTE and other China-based companies designated as national security threats. announced the start date. .

Carriers will be able to apply for the fund from October 29 to January 14, 2022. The FCC adopted rules in December last year that required carriers to replace all equipment made by Huawei and ZTE.

The FCC designated Huawei and ZTE as national security threats on June 30 last year, barring US firms from using $8.3 billion of government funds to buy equipment from either firm.

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said in a statement at the time, “Both companies have close ties with the Chinese Communist Party and China’s military system, and both companies are largely subject to Chinese law, which allows them to be part of the country’s intelligence services.” compel you to cooperate.” “We cannot and will not allow the Chinese Communist Party to exploit network vulnerabilities and compromise our critical communications infrastructure.”

The Reimbursement Fund was set up by Congress in 2019. This includes telecom carriers with 10 million or less subscribers.

Rural carriers are facing high costs and difficulty finding workers to replace equipment, according to Reuters. The vessel size was set at $1.9 billion in September last year based on estimates for equipment removal and replacement.

In March this year, President Joe Biden’s administration expanded on the designations created under President Donald Trump and added five more China-based firms to the list of national security threats: Hytera Communications Corp., Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co., and Dahua. technology company

“This listing is a major step toward restoring confidence in our communications network,” Acting President Rosenworcel said in a statement at the time. “This list provides meaningful guidance that will ensure that next-generation networks built across the country do not repeat the mistakes of the past or use tools or services that may affect U.S. national security or safety and security. would pose a threat to. American.”

In addition to taking steps to uproot Huawei and ZTE devices at home, the United States has been warning allies about the presence of devices in their networks. National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan warned Brazil about the issue during a visit in August.

The FCC’s announcement comes days after a Canadian court canceled US extradition proceedings against Huawei’s chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou, who is now back in China. The Chinese Communist Party released two Canadian citizens at about the same time.

Follow

Evan has reported for The Epoch Times on a variety of topics since 2011.

.

This News Originally From – The Epoch Times

Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -