Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Uvalde sued for access to genocide files

AUSTIN, Texas, USA ( Associated Press) – The city of Uvalde filed a lawsuit Thursday against the local prosecutor’s office seeking access to files and other investigative materials related to the massacre last May at Rob Elementary School, where 19 children and two The teachers were killed. The move highlights tensions over the slow response of police and the flow of information about the shooting.

The lawsuit, filed in Uvalde County against District Attorney Mitchell Busby, alleges that the lack of access to information about the May 24 massacre could affect an independent investigator’s ability to review and determine policy violations by officers. whether internal disciplinary action is required or not.

Busbee is leading a criminal investigation into the shooting, awaiting a report from the Texas Department of Public Safety. The state police chief said the document would be ready by the end of the year.

“The Uvalde community as a whole has waited too long for answers and transparency surrounding the shooting at Robb Elementary,” Uvalde city officials said in a statement.

An employee of the Uvalde district attorney’s office declined to comment Thursday.

The only information the city made available to an independent investigative agency for review came from witnesses, “most of whom were provided to the city under a confidentiality agreement and criminal investigative privileges,” the agency said. The lawsuit claims Busby cited the criminal investigation — which he told city officials was about to end in November — when he was asked for more records.

Independent investigator Jesse Prado would be bound by a confidentiality agreement if he received information that has already been released to other agencies conducting similar reviews, according to the lawsuit, and would not be made available to any city officials otherwise. According to a statement issued by city officials.

According to an investigative report by the state Congress, about 400 police officers came to the school on the day of the massacre, but they all waited more than 70 minutes before entering the fourth grade classroom to confront the assailant.

Two officers have already been fired for their actions at the scene and others have resigned or been placed on leave.

In October, Colonel Steve McCraw, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, admitted that officers made mistakes when first confronted by relatives of Uvalde victims about false and contradictory accounts. and lack of transparency in available information. McCraw defended his agency, saying that he “didn’t let Uvalde down”.

Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin previously criticized state officials’ response to the shooting and expressed frustration at the lack of information available about one of the worst school massacres in state history.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news