Victorian Labor Government wants to reject judge to reject demands for lock-in classes

Victorian Labor Government wants to reject judge to reject demands for lock-in classes

The Victorian Labor government has asked a judge to dismiss legitimate claims of economic loss and mental injury by individuals and businesses affected during the second wave of the state, describing the claims as ‘useless’.

The class action lawsuit, filed by workers and businesses, alleges that the state’s handling of hotel quarantine, which caused the CCP virus to leak into the community, was negligent and caused foreseeable loss.

However, the claims do not state that no restrictions should have been imposed.

In the working class action, the chief prosecutor, Jordan Roberts, who on 14 August 2020, during Victoria’s stage four restrictions, was fired from his job in Tullamarine, against the state due to economic loss and psychiatric injury.

Anthony Ferrara of 5 Boroughs NY Pty Ltd, the owner of a New York-inspired restaurant in Keilor Park, filed the main application in the business class application due to the 112-day exclusion from Melbourne last year.

In Victoria High Court on May 31, Attorney General Rachel Doyle SC told Judge John Dixon that the class actions could not identify the details and argued that ‘it led to that.’

“It is our argument that the answer is that there is no real prospect of success, and that it will be useless to continue,” she said.

Doyle added that the plaintiffs’ legal arguments were incoherent in their reliance on ‘the end of a long line of dominoes’.

Nevertheless, Carbone Lawyers, representing Jordan Roberts, claims his retrenchment can be traced back to stage three and four restrictions, which allegedly stemmed from then-Victorian health minister Jenny Mikakos and Labor minister Martin Pakula.

Genomic tests indicate that a significant proportion of the CCP virus cases that caused Victoria’s second wave could be linked back to Victoria’s hotel quarantine program.

The esteemed Jennifer Coate AO speaks at COVID-19 Hotel Quarantine Inquiry in Melbourne, Australia, on July 20, 2020. (James Ross – Pool / Getty Images)

Government Attorney Rachel Doyle told the Supreme Court that Victoria Andrew, Prime Minister Andrew Andrew, had acknowledged a failure with the hotel quarantine program and asked Judge Dixon “to keep this in mind when it comes to the overall duty of care and the violation of it in this case. “

The two cases, which could cost the state billions of dollars, are still being heard in Victoria’s Supreme Court.

In August 2020, Quinn Emmanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, a law firm in Sydney, launched a class action lawsuit (pdf) to seek compensation against the Andrews Government for all businesses that have suffered economic losses as a result of Phase Three and Fourth closures.

In March 2021, residents of public housing filed a class action lawsuit against the Andrews government for allegations of assault and negligence that took place during the two-week jail term in July 2020.

AAP contributed to this report.

.