Madrid, 17 May. (Europa Press) – Vinci Hotels have recycled 55% of their waste in the past year, representing more than half of the rest, according to an annual study made public by the hotel company on the occasion of World Recycling Day. of May, which aims to analyze and monitor the Waste Management and Mitigation Plan 2021-2030.
In 2023, the hotel chain plans to conduct a circular audit of plastic waste, so that we can know the type of waste and its destination in hotels.
World Recycling Day is observed every 17 May, a day established by UNESCO, with the aim of raising awareness among both individuals and companies about the importance of properly managing the waste generated.
Vincci Hoteles maintains its commitment to a circular economy, with recycling as one of its fundamental pillars, and which responds to the growing trend of choosing a responsible lifestyle even when planning trips.
That’s why, among its many objectives included in its annual Sustainability Report is to increase the company’s recycling each year, but above all to move towards 0 waste, a goal that is part of its waste management and reduction plan. Waste 2021-2030, and which has contributed to the hotel chain managing to recycle more than half of its waste, 55% in 2022.
In its efforts to implement this plan, in 2022 Vincci Hotels also began offering its guests the option of treating organic waste, installing a special container in all of its residences for proper treatment and disposal.
In addition, this year the hotel chain plans to conduct a circular audit of plastic waste with the intention of knowing the type of waste and its destination, thus optimizing its management and strengthening its protocols in terms of sustainability going.
These advances are the result of various actions being taken by Vinci Hotels aimed at both reducing waste and managing it properly, ensuring that the value of products, materials and resources is retained in the economy for as long as possible.
As such, it has focused its efforts on reducing waste generation with measures such as review of procurement norms to give preference to bulk products, introduction of dispensers and dispensers in food and bathroom products, etc.
One of the main measures implemented is the elimination of all single-use plastic products from the chain under its ‘Plastic Free’ plan. Also the replacement and review of facilities and reception products to adapt them to current demands.
Since its origins, Vincci Hotels has recycled various materials such as paper, cardboard, glass, batteries, containers, vegetable oil, cork, coffee capsules, fluorescent lamps or toner.
In many cases, recycling also has a dual purpose, environmental and social, as in the example of plastic caps to help children through the Seer Foundation; garments that are donated to different foundations or have their fibers recycled for use in new clothing; wine corks that are used to make surfboards or furniture in collaboration with the organization Richpeoplethings; and coffee capsules, which are then deposited in a separate container for recycling aluminum and composting coffee grounds to fertilize farms.
One of the main programs is to reduce food waste, ‘Desperdisio Cerro’, in which not only the control of purchase and expiration dates is proposed, but also that leftover food can be recycled, consumed Can go on and doesn’t end. In the dustbin. A way to better manage the kitchen and with which, various non-profit organizations can benefit from the leftover product.
The program reviews processes for preparing, storing and procuring food and beverages, and through the use of specific software that helps reduce food waste across the chain by at least 50%, of the company through close coordination between sustainability and food and beverage sales department.
Ecological transition plan.
All this has contributed to reach this percentage of 55% recycling of the company’s waste, however, Vinci Hotels intends to continue to increase in the coming years, reducing the remaining 45%, especially undifferentiated waste or concentrates on rejects, that is, a mixture of waste that, upon arrival at the plant, tries to separate by fractions that can be recycled (glass, packaging, cardboard, organic), and those that cannot be recovered That could go for recovery or to a landfill (being able to generate energy with the exhaust gases).
A waste management and minimization plan is included in Vinci Hotels’ Ecological Transition Plan. This is the hotel chain’s 2030 Agenda, where specific plans are reviewed and made for each of the company’s areas with the greatest environmental impact and general objectives are established for improvement in all of them with a 2030 horizon.