Smart rings are considered the future of wearable technology, also known as wearable devices. Smart rings may not be as popular as smartwatches or headphones, but Horizon looks promising for this finger-worn technology.
Driven by startups, the rise of the smart ring industry has been very slow. In fact, smart rings have been around for a decade, but with the introduction of More and more patents and more and more big companies interested in this equipment, It is only a matter of time before it explodes.
Developing them back then may have been difficult, but today, brands like Apple and Amazon are proving that smart rings are possible, and that smart wearable technology could be the next big thing in the market.
In addition, as society becomes more health and fitness conscious, new types of wearable devices become an essential item in everyday life for people today.
What are Smart Rings?
Smart rings are actually similar to the rings that we wear as a daily accessory. However, this They have added electronic functions that respond to specific gestures.
These may offer a solution to smartphone slavery. Instead of carrying your phone around all the time, you can keep something as discreet as these rings.
Note that developing takes longer than you imagine but building it has always been very complicated. This is largely due to The challenges of incorporating technology into something as small as a Ring, It hasn’t been easy to integrate Bluetooth, a chip and sensor into a light light enough to wear on your finger.
What are the functions of these wearables?
These can be used for many applications. The most common uses we’ve seen on the market today are in the health and fitness category. but Other practical applications include digital payments, online security and access control in some places.
And that, of course, as this market matures, new functions will appear. It is important to note that most smart rings do not have a single functionality. For example, a smart ring can record both your sleep habits and your daily activities and even make payments, as it integrates NFC technology.
In form of The most outstanding works are:
1. Sleep monitoring: Control of sleep patterns is established, including changes, amounts and time spent in different sleep cycles.
They are quite a popular choice in this area mainly because They are more comfortable than smartbands, For example. Some of the brands in this smart ring category are GO2SLEEP, Oura, Motiv and THIM.
2. Fitness Tracking: They can track daily activities, including number of steps taken, distance walked and calories burned.
3. Health and Wellness Management: These enable track health standards Such as heart rate, blood oxygen level (SpO2), blood pressure and glucose level, among others.
There are also others such as the Moodmetric Ring that can be used to measure a user’s stress level via electrodermal activity (EDA).
4. Payment: This is an emerging trend in the industry. McIlroy and K Ring are some of those that are already moving forward. You don’t need a smartphone or bank account number to make contactless payments; All you have to do is bring the smart ring near the POS terminal and the transaction is done.
5. Remote Control and Smart Keys: Whether it’s setting alarms, receiving messages or call notifications, or controlling music, smart rings are a great tool for these processes. On the other hand, there are now some token rings that have an optical sensor inside Allows you to open your house or your car instead of using a key.
6. Online Security: This feature is just starting to become a very real thing in smart rings. Motive ring, for example, uses Two-factor authentication to login to your accounts.
One very promising online security feature in Smart Ring is biometric authentication, which provides a more secure way of browsing the web than passwords and PINs. Motiv is already beta testing fingerprint scanning and facial recognition as authentication methods.
How do you integrate technology?
It’s quite curious considering how smart rings incorporate electronic components in such a small format. It must be said that it integrates not one, but several technologies, such as a NFC chip, a sensor, a bluetooth chip, a battery, a microcontroller, an indicator light, etc.
More problems occur when in the design stage, although it is true that technological advances are contributing to these shortcomings and integrating all designated technologies in a simpler way.
Another challenge is Find the right size options and fits. In the case of a smart ring, the main consideration is size, as it may not fit everyone’s fingers, and you can’t adjust it yourself. Many companies already provide support in this aspect so that you can buy one that fits perfectly.
Advantages and disadvantages of smart rings. Is it really worth buying one?
At this point in time, it is not possible to say whether smart rings are good or bad in general, as the technology is still new. Also, different rings have different capacities, and not all manufacturers get some rights, this is a fact.
Truth be told, smart rings don’t get better like smartwatches when it comes to the functionality they offer. But in reality, It all comes down to how you are going to use the device.
The good thing about these is that they guarantee that you won’t be relying too much on your smartphone, which translates into less screen time. Plus, unlike other wearables, smart rings don’t; They can last for days on a single charge, depending on what you purchase.
If you need one for contactless payments, this is probably the easiest and most hassle free solution compared to using a contactless card or smartwatch/smartphone.
On the other hand, bad. That said, smart rings also have their challenges. especially when it comes to Design one that really covers all fronts and is useful. This adds to the cost of owning one, as you have to pay a lot for these. Right now they seem a bit more exclusive.
For example, the Motive Ring costs $200, and the Oura Ring costs $300. In contrast, some smart rings with basic functionality are cheap. For example, the Maclear contactless payment ring will set you back $90.
Another big drawback ring size, Since there are models that may not be comfortable to wear all day, especially those that have a battery and a screen.
What is currently the best in the market?
Choosing the best smart ring depends on the usage you want to give it. Right now, there is a wide array of categories to choose from. For example, Amazon offers quite a few NFC smart rings. These are three companies and their three best-positioned smart rings.
1. Our Smart Ring: Aura Ring is the leading sleep tracking smart ring Also developed to control circadian rhythm. Apart from this, it also integrates various sensors that track daily activities, pulse and body temperature.
With a battery that can last up to a week, it starts at $300.
2. Motive Ring: It Can Easily Be best fitness ring With a slim and very nice design. It tracks steps, distance, calories and heart rate. Motive Ring also acts as an online security tool that allows you to access websites.
It is waterproof up to 15 meters and its battery can last up to 72 hours and is fully charged in 90 minutes. This one is available for $200.
3. Token Ring: When It Comes to digital payments and contactless access, It is top 1 in smart rings. It uses an optical sensor to detect whether you’re wearing it, and when you take it off, it automatically locks so that no one else can use it. This also includes the possibility of being able to pay with it and is sold for $349.
Right now, smart rings are a diamond in the rough. But judging by what we’ve seen so far, smart rings are at least worth trying.