When receiving a diagnosis of diabetes it is very important to follow the doctor’s recommendations to avoid health complications.
A specific meal plan and healthy eating habits are one of the keys to fighting diabetes.
“Eating healthy can help you keep diabetes under control and reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke and other health problems caused by the condition. Making good food choices can help you feel good and lose weight every day.” Reducing will help, if you need it ”, explains the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, for its abbreviation in English).
For this reason, these centers indicate various foods that can be included in the diet of a person with diabetes.
- Non-starchy vegetables, such as chili peppers, nopales, jalapeños, carrots, cabbage, eggplant, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, jicama, kale, lettuce, tomatoes and bell peppers.
- Starchy vegetables, such as potatoes, peas, corn, squash, acorns, squash butternutPumpkin or squash, bananas, yams, cassava, yautia, malanga, sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes (eat in moderation, as they contain more carbohydrates).
- Dried beans, dried peas and pulses.
- Whole grains, such as whole wheat bread, oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat pasta, whole corn, and cornmeal.
- Fruit (eat whole). Dried or canned fruits should be avoided due to their high sugar content.
- Skim or low-fat dairy products, including milk, yogurt, cheeses, trans-fat-free margarine spreads, and fortified soy beverages.
- Lean meats, chicken, turkey, fish, shellfish, eggs, nuts, seeds and soy products. It is important to cut out and not consume meat fat.
- Use olive, canola and safflower oils.
- Sugar-free drinks, such as water, unsweetened tea and coffee.
Cauliflower is a food that is commonly included in the preparation of fried vegetables or salads. It has many benefits for the health of the people. In these, its positive effects are revealed on people diagnosed with diabetes.
“Thanks to its vitamin C and potassium content, regular consumption of cauliflower will help you reduce your risk of developing diabetes. These two ingredients regulate the glucose in your blood and metabolism. When your potassium levels are low, , then glucose can increase and this can be a big danger if you have diabetes. For this reason it is essential that you consume enough foods to keep your potassium levels stable.”, indicates the web portal secret.
Likewise, it is a healthy choice to include in the diet of a person with diabetes, in addition to contributing to prevention. To know the quantity to be consumed, you must consult a nutritionist and follow the recommendations provided by the professional.
Which foods should be avoided?
There are certain foods and products that diabetics should avoid in order to reduce the risk of other diseases. portal specialized in health your health Mention some of them:
- packages (mekatos)
- white bread
- processed meats
- Fatty food
The Novo Nordisk Diabetes Foundation lists the steps for preparing a Cauliflower Omelette recipe on its website.
- 1 Cauliflower 400 grams
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil 0´4º
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp ajwain
- Put the cabbage in water with a handful of salt.
- Let it boil for half an hour.
- Sieve it when cooked and cut it into pieces.
- Chop a garlic clove and fry it on a slow fire with olive oil. Add cauliflower.
- Fry for several minutes.
- Add chopped parsley and salt to taste.