A new challenge spreads among young people’s social networks and Parents start showing concern.
The practice is known as “chroming”. Caused the death of a 13-year-old Australian girl, Hence the minor’s family wants to raise awareness about the challenge and prevent more children from doing the same.
Esra Haynes, a 13-year-old Grade 8 student from the city of Melbourne, passed away on March 31, 2023. exposure to chemicals during a party where he took up the challenge.
Haynes suffered losses according to Australian media irreparable brain damage and a cardiac arrest. She was hospitalized for a week before passing away.
Now, the minor’s parents are warning others of the risks involved chroming, which has become popular on social media. Paul Haynes declared during an interview with the Australian program a current affair that “Esra would never have done this if he had known the consequences. That it could end his life.”
Esra’s sister, Imogen told 7news: “We definitely have a mission to educate kids and do whatever it takes. We don’t want this to happen to anyone else. We don’t want another family to go through this, it is absolutely horrific.,
What is chroming?
Royal Melbourne Children’s Hospital defines chroming Such as the practice of sniffing dangerous substances for recreational purposes.
though the word chroming has changed over time, the term originated from the practice of inhaling chrome-based paint to feel Being under the influence of drugs. Some examples of toxic chemicals are spray cans, paint, thinner, permanent marker, nail polish remover, glue, cleaning products, or gasoline.
In this chromingsand breathes in deodorant fumes directly, so it’s common andamong generation z and among groups of people who cannot afford or have access to other substances.
What does chroming do to the body?
According to the Australian Department of Human Services, when a person inhales these vapors, chemicals move from the air into the lungs, These chemicals are absorbed and enter the person’s bloodstream.
blood carries the chemical to the brain, where it sometimes changes the way it works sleeping areas of the brain and often produce strange sensations, thoughts or actions.
Similarly, blood also carries chemicals to other parts of the body where they can cause permanent damage In liver, kidney and nerves.
When a person “chromas” they experience effects similar to drinking alcohol. the person will begin to feel relaxed, as if nothing bothers them much, then they can be you may feel more intoxicated, He may not speak properly, may not walk properly, or may not care about what is happening to him. The more breathless the person is, the worse these symptoms will be.
These chemicals, when absorbed into the body, come in handy for cleaning the house or repairing the car. “They act as depressants or relaxants“, slowing down the function of the human brain.
What are the consequences of chroming?
According to a study published in the Journal of Drug and Alcohol Research, long-term use of inhalants can cause cognitive disorders, such as memory loss, difficulty concentrating, decreased intelligence quotient and lack of judgement. Inhalants can be abused unexpected death.
However, the US National Institutes of Health states that “sudden respiratory death syndrome” can occur after a “chroming” session. 22% of people who died from doing this exercise were first time users.