written in world
after approval of new Democratic Memory Lawpopularly known in latin america grandson in lawOpens a new possibility for the Spanish government Younger Descendants of a Spanish Father, Mother or Grandparentbring Spanish Nationality.
so far, to get Spanish nationality Those interested had the option of getting it: Born in spain, and naturalization by residence or option. However, these methods were not that easy to achieve, so now with the new grandson in lawMaybe if you can get it.
Why Get Spanish Nationality?
while receiving Spanish nationality You can choose to process a spanish passportwhat else is there to allow you to be spainWill allow you to travel freely in most European countries that belong to the European Union.
You will be able to access social assistance procedures like any other Spaniard, such as a minimum vital income, a non-contributory disability or retirement pension, support for childbirth, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and training grants and scholarships for your children , as well you will also be covered by the Spanish public health system.
What is the new grandchild law?
Democratic Memory Law or the law of grandchildren allows children and grandchildren of persons born in spain and can get deported during the Franco regime spanish citizenship directly, so they won’t need to be anymore spain For a fixed period, as it used to be till now.
For those spanish descent New law opens doors to access for those whose parents or grandparents moved to the US and therefore lost the opportunity for Spanish nationality nationalityand the benefits that go with it, but only in the following cases:
- grandchildren of Spanish women who were born in Spain and who married non-Spanish citizens before the 1978 Constitution came into force; And for this reason he renounced his Spanish citizenship.
- Children of those who originally acquired Spanish nationality (by historical memory, regulated by Law 52/2017), who could not become Spanish citizens when the law came into force, over 18 years old at the time.
- children or grandchildren born outside Spain to a Spanish father, mother or grandparent who was deported and left Spain for political, ideological or belief reasons or sexual orientation and identity; And because of the said exile he lost or renounced his Spanish nationality.
How to apply for Spanish nationality?
First of all, you must have the necessary documents to be able to apply for the acquisition of Spanish nationality. especially one that proves your relationship with someone (father, mother, grandparent) who had spanish citizenship,
You must also have documents showing the deportation, persecution or resignation that caused the person to lose the Spanish citizenship you wish to obtain.
Once you have these documents, you can send your application to:
- If you are not in Spain, the Civil Registry of the Spanish Consulate in your country of origin
- Central Civil Registry if you are in Spanish territory
- Online platform which will be able to process all these requests