Rats and mice are rodents that can enter houses in search of water and food, and often become a nuisance to people, because their presence can cause material damage, and they can also bring diseases.
Fortunately, there are scents that can help keep mice and rats away, such as:
1. Peppermint: This smell is not tolerated by mice, and one way to benefit from it is to spray peppermint oil in areas prone to mice.
2. Eucalyptus: This is another smell that rodents can’t stand, because it’s uncomfortable for them, and you just put some eucalyptus leaves in places where rodents live.
3. Pepper: Red or black pepper will keep mice and rats away, because they don’t like its aroma, and you need to sprinkle pepper on problem areas.
4. Garlic: Garlic has a bad aroma, and therefore, mice will stay away when they see it. You just need to put a few cloves of garlic in places where rats and mice live.
5. Citrus oils: The smell of citrus, such as lemon, orange or grapefruit, bothers mice and rats, and you should spray it in areas with rodents.
Some tips to keep mice and rats away
Using one of the aforementioned perfumes has always been very effective in keeping mice and rats away, but there are other additional tips that help keep these mice away from homes.
- Sealing entrances: Mice often enter homes through cracks in walls or unsealed pipes, and to prevent this from happening, all you need to do is seal it well. In addition, to get better results you can add one of the mentioned fragrances or you can use rat poison.
- Save food and eliminate water sources: As mentioned earlier, rats can enter houses in search of food and water. Therefore, you should not leave the food outside, and the recommendation is to store it in airtight containers. Likewise, any source of water, such as dripping or stagnant water, must be eliminated.
- Keep Trees and Shrubs: Rodents can use trees and bushes to get into your home, so keeping them trimmed is important to prevent rodent access.