He Alzheimer It is one of the most widespread neurodegenerative diseases today. In Spain, affects around five million people according to the Spanish Confederation for Alzheimer’s and Other Dementias (@AlzheimerCeafa). The Brain Foundation, on the other hand estimated the number of patients worldwide to be 115 million by 2020. Furthermore, they warn that the number is to be expected increase in the coming years.
One of the most obvious signs by which this disease can be recognized is the progressive loss of memory and cognitive abilities. But what exactly is the first thing you forget? Answering this question is very relevant because it is possible trigger our warnings and enable early diagnosis.
So, although the disease can affect each person differently there are some general patterns that may be useful. This happens often the aspects of memory that suffer first.
- Current memory. The information you just learned or the things that just happened don’t stick in the brain and are easily forgotten. In this case, this will often be the case People repeat questions and conversations because they do not store the information correctly and You often lose track.
- Everyday routines. Brushing our teeth, getting dressed or cooking are activities we do every day. When the disease begins to manifest itself, These everyday tasks can be forgotten.
- Names and faces. One of the most obvious and at the same time devastating signs is forgetting familiar faces. Family and friends become blurred and those affected begin to feel insecure Difficulty recognizing who the people around them are, which has a significant psychological impact on those affected and those around them.
- Disorientation. Another obvious sign is that people get lost in familiar places and not being able to reach their destination or return home which can generate dangerous situations.
- Errors with items. In general, it can happen that anyone makes a mistake and forgets where they left their glasses or cell phone. If you feel like someone close to you or yourself is starting to forget these things very often, this could be one of the first warnings.