If you are a foreign national and want to work in America Legally, you are required to process the Employment Authorization Document (EAD). In this note, we tell you who applies and how you should go about the process.
This document will be the evidence that you will need to present to your employer to demonstrate that you are permitted to work in the United States and, thus, have no problems.
How does EAD work permit work?
The Employment Authorization Document (EAD), explains the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) page, shows employers that you can be hired to work in the US. You must have your work permit card before starting work.
Who can apply for EAD work permit?
You must apply for an EAD if:
- You are authorized to work in the United States based on immigration status or circumstances (for example, you are a refugee, asylum seeker, or U nonimmigrant) and need to provide proof of employment authorization; one of two
- You need to apply for a work permit; In other words, you need to apply for employment authorization. For example: You have a pending Form I-485 (Application for Permanent Residence or Adjustment of Status). You have a pending Form I-589 (Application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal). You have a nonimmigrant status that allows you to live in the United States but does not allow you to work in the United States without first seeking employment authorization from USCIS (such as a student on an F-1 or M-1 visa) Is.
How much do I have to pay to apply for EAD work permit?
Here are the expenses:
- Filing Fee: US$410, although payment may be waived in some cases.
- Concept of Biometric Services: US$85.
How to apply for EAD work permit?
To apply for your United States Work Authorization Card (EAD), you must submit an Application for Employment Authorization (Form 1-765).
- How to submit form?
- Read Instructions for Form I-765
- Complete and sign your Form I-765
- pay the filing fee, if applicable, and
- Provide all necessary supporting evidence and documents.
Where do I submit my EAD work permit application?
You can apply online at https://myaccount.uscis.gov/
How long does my EAD work permit last?
Your EAD work permit will be valid for 1 or 2 years, depending on the immigration category you qualify for. The permit can be renewed, but must be done 180 days before it expires.
How do I get my EAD work permit?
If the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) approves your application, they may mail you your EAD card or, in some cases, you may need to collect it in person. Find your nearest USCIS office here.
Who does not need to apply for an EAD permit?
You do not need to apply for an EAD in the following cases:
- If you are a lawful permanent resident. Your green card (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card) is proof of your employment authorization.
- If you have a nonimmigrant visa that authorizes you to work for a specific employer (for example, if you have an H-1B, L-1B, O, or P visa).