Everyone knows what an extension cord is for (or used to): connecting equipment away from a power source. But for this it has an outlet at one end and a plug at the other end. So why are Americans buying an extension cord that has two plugs?
And some Americans aren’t: The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC, their “inMetro”) had to issue a public alert last Thursday (the 15th) asking the population to stop ordering the accessory on Amazon — because it’s apparently serious. There is danger of electric shock.
Here’s a justification for a product that makes no sense: consumers believe that, in the event of a blackout, one of the plugs can be connected to an independent generator (diesel, for example) and the other to the wall. Is. Home, “bringing” energy back into the house.
The CPSC had to clarify in its statement that “when the extension cord is connected to a generator or other outlet, the opposite end becomes electrical. If the stem of the plug is touched, they will cause shock or electric shock.” can become.”
But the problems do not end here.
“The flow of electrical power in the opposite direction of normal flow bypasses the safety features implemented in the home’s electrical system and can cause a fire. And the short length of some models also encourages the use of generators close to the home, which can cause poisoning by carbon monoxide”, the text says.
The agency also confirms that these extensions do not respect any national safety code, such as NFPA70 (a regulation created by the National Fire Prevention Association of the USA).
On Amazon US, the product can be found for around US$25 (about R$131) – and some reviews from more conscientious consumers classified them as “suicidal extension”. The retailer is pulling items from the catalog.