Why is it important to keep cats dewormed?

0
1

Cats are usually very careful about their cleanliness, when they lick their bodies they can drag in some fleas, preventing their guardians from spotting them in time. However, it is important that these animals are dewormed since the consequences that these external organisms produce are negative for their health, especially if they are allergic because they can lead them to groom themselves excessively or open the door to the development of much more serious diseases.

Consequently, prevention is key and not applying it in time can have serious consequences for pets.

Statistics on unwormed cats

According to a household survey in the city of Buenos Aires, there are an estimated 295,000 cats, of which 17% have not been dewormed against fleas and ticks in the past 12 months.

Read Also:  Luis Figo, fabulous at 50: "I don't know if it's genetics, I eat healthy and recently I tried Yoga Power"

This figure is worrying since fleas are parasites that feed on feline blood, whose females can produce an average of 40 eggs a day, depending on several factors such as species, temperature and other variables.Why Is It Important To Keep Cats Dewormed?

The most risky diseases for cats

One of the risks is that the cat may contract feline mycoplasmosis or feline infectious anemia, an infectious disease caused by a bacterium called Mycoplasma haemofelis in which fleas play an important role as they can participate as vectors and destroy the red blood cells of their guest.

It can be a silent disease at first but can also manifest as anemia or other symptoms including fever, lethargy, loss of appetite, weight loss, and shortness of breath.

Read Also:  14 Phrases by Hugo Gatti: The "Other Quilombos" That Were in Boca and the Controversial Place He Gave Messi and Maradona in History

Another interesting fact is that the infection can occur through saliva or through direct contact with other cats, regardless of age, breed or sex.
It is important to note that only 5% of adult fleas are found on the animal’s fur, while the remaining 95% are found in the environment in the form of eggs, larvae and pupae.

Consequently, deworming cats is important even if they do not leave the house, as they could come into contact with fleas and other parasites present in the house.

Taking preventive measures against fleas and ticks works together with the care of the pet and the house, preventing it from contracting diseases more serious than itching. Before detecting external parasites, it is important to consult your trusted veterinarian.

Read Also:  25 Times Colorado Ranked As One Of The Best States In America

Recommendations from specialists

Walter Comas, of the company MSD Animal Health, cites several preventive measures to consider.

  • Take cats to regular veterinary checkups to detect the disease in its early stages.
  • Keep cats free from external parasites with effective solutions and long-lasting protection, which allow for the best care of the animal. There are some tablets that last up to 12 weeks.
  • Control the contact of cats with other cats that are infected or of unknown origin.
  • Do not self-medicate the cat.
  • Maintain good hygiene in the home and in areas where cats spend time, such as litter boxes and toys, to prevent the growth of bacteria and parasites.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here