Saturday, December 2, 2023

Will Europe require a visa? This is what you should know about ETIAS, the “permission” to visit it

Giving your girlfriend the ring under the Eiffel Tower in Paris, taking selfies with the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, ​​or even drinking a cappuccino on the streets of Rome before noon while the Roman Colosseum is a few blocks away – activities that are relatively expensive, now become they will cost a little more from 2024… and everything for the travel permit to Europe, which will be implemented from 2024.

Starting next year, entry to the European continent will no longer be free – at least not for those from the Schengen area – and all travelers from Mexico, Latin America and the remaining 60 countries listed will have to pay for the ETIAS visa waiver (Europe) Travel Information – and permit system) that enables entry into European Union countries.

So… will Europe ask for a visa? How much will the costs be?

The ETIAS is not a visa in itself, but a system that requires people from countries that do not currently require visas to enter Europe to register their visits in advance… as is the case in Mexico and other Latin American countries. It even applies to citizens of the United States and Canada. Countries like Ecuador and Bolivia not only necessarily apply for a visa, but also apply for this authorization.

Read Also:  Prosecutor: Teenager planned rape, murder of Wisconsin girl

The cost of the ETIAS is 7.00 euros (about $7.50 / about 130 Mexican pesos) and the permit is added to the multiple accommodation and “tourist” rates already in effect across Europe. The measure will be officially implemented in 2024, However, there is still no exact date as to when it will be. This is the list of countries in the region where tourists need to make a request.

  • Mexico
  • USA
  • Canada
  • Guatemala
  • The saviour
  • Honduras
  • Nicaragua
  • Costa Rica
  • Panama
  • Colombia
  • Venezuela
  • Peru
  • Brazil
  • Paraguay
  • Chile
  • Argentina
  • Uruguay

Well, it’s not a visa. What is ETIAS for? Why will they implement it?

This travel authorization system records, will track and update the necessary data of all tourists to determine whether it is safe for you to enter the Schengen Area countries. Validity is up to three years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. If you get a new passport and travel to Europe, you will need to obtain a new permit.

These are used for short-term trips between 90 and 180 days (three to six months) for tourism and business purposes. In addition, it also applies to people visiting European Union countries for medical and transit reasons.

Read Also:  Marsch starts EPL life with a loss, Liverpool closes on City

The reason why the European Union approved the launch of ETIAS is for security and administrative reasons. Due to the current migration crisis, in which thousands of people are arriving without documents, the European Union wants to guarantee hassle-free travel for people applying for this permit, knowing who is entering and where they are, and also improving border management for the entry of people prevent those who may commit crimes and acts of terrorism.

Where do I process the ETIAS? What requirements do I need?

The process is completely online and will be available soon via this website, when it will be officially implemented. According to European Union authorities, applications are processed in “minutes” and the vast majority within 96 hours. However, it is possible that the European authorities may refuse or delay this authorization in exceptional cases, which would be resolved within 14 to 30 days.

During implementation European authorities recommend not to book flights or accommodation until you have confirmation and validity of the ETIAS as well as the conventional entry documents into one of the countries of the European Union – such as the passport – upon arrival at the airport or port.

Read Also:  Russia attacks Ukraine; peace in Europe 'shattered'

The requirements are simple: Have a valid passport valid for at least 6 months issued in the country of origin, a debit/credit card to pay for the authorization and an email address to which the confirmation will be sent.

I have a passport and ETIAS. Anything else I need to worry about?

Only the tourist taxes applicable in Europe. Most cities in Europe collect a “tourism tax” from visitors who visit them. Upon request, these can be shown on the hotel or accommodation bill either at the beginning or at the end of the tour. Some overly touristy cities, such as Venice itself, already charge an additional fee for access to the “historic zone”.

These taxes generally go toward supporting public services affected by tourism, such as garbage collection and street cleaning. They typically only apply for a limited period of time, usually up to a week, providing an incentive for visitors to extend their stay.

Get out of there… Have fun! Whether it’s wines in Italian Tuscany, the warm sun on the Greek islands, the canals and bike-filled streets of Amsterdam, the famous Oktoberfest in Munich… or the colder, wintry environments of Stockholm and Copenhagen.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Desk
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news