Lachlan Wilson earned the Pac-12 Special Teams Player of the Week after his performance last Saturday against Arizona State.
From California Lachlan Wilson was named the Pac-12 Special Teams Player of the Week on Monday for his performance in the Golden Bears’ 24-21 home win over Arizona State on Saturday.
Travers Family Head Football Coach Justin Wilcox said in his post-game press conference that “you can argue” then quickly clarified before concluding that he thought “I don’t know if it’s an argument” that Wilson “is the most valuable player for us right now. ”
Wilson won the honor for the first time in his career and is the second Golden Bear to be named Pac-12 Player of the Week in 2023 after being selected by Brian Driscoll as the Pac-12 Offensive Lineman of the Week in Cal’s season-opening 58-21 win over North Texas. Wilson is the first Cal player to be selected as the Pac-12 Special Teams Player of the Week since Greg Thomas in Week 3 of the 2019 campaign and the 43rd all-time.
Cal (3-2, 1-1 Pac-12) will next host No. 15 Oregon State (4-1, 1-1 Pac-12) in Homecoming at Berkley on Saturday (7 pm PT, Pac-12 Network).
Visit CalBears.com for tickets and more information about Cal’s full slate of 2023 games and view the Cal Athletic Fund online to support the Cal football program through the Championship CALiber initiative.
Below are notes on Wilson with his extended bio available by clicking on his name.
– Booted four of his seven punts 53 yards or longer including a Cal career-long 59-yarder and averaged a Cal career-best 49.7 yards per punt against Arizona State
– Four of his seven punts against Arizona State made the Sun Devils start drives on their own 20-yard line or worse, including twice on their own 10 or worse and once inside in five.
– Cal took advantage of Wilson pinning the Sun Devils deep in their own territory by scoring 17 points on its first drive after Wilson pinned the Sun Devils at or inside their own 20
– Arizona State’s average starting position is its own 20-yard line, while Cal’s own 40
– Made all four successful attempts (1-1 FG, 3-3 PAT) by Mateen Bhaghani in Bhaghani’s first game as the Golden Bears’ starting placekicker
– A nominee for the Ray Guy Award Punter of the Week
– Second in the Pac-12 and 19th in the NCAA with his 44.9 yards per punt average in 2023
– His 44.9 punting average in 2023 will be fifth on Cal’s all-time single season list and first on Cal’s career list